Video and TV marketing helps your brand reach customers at various levels with rich information. With combined audio and visual stimuli, your information can capture more attention and instill your brand into customers’ memories.
With increasing video options, you can launch a varied campaign using your set of video trends. Navigating the various channels helps you reach customers wherever they are watching and paying attention.
Here are some trends and tips for developing a multi-channel video campaign.
General Video Trends
According to a report by eMarketer, the average US adult spent approximately 1 hour and 49 minutes per day watching digital video content in 2021. That includes time spent watching video content on OTT platforms, social media platforms, and other digital video sources.
According to a 2021 report by eMarketer, the average US adult spends approximately 8 hours and 25 minutes daily on screens, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and TVs. It represents a significant increase from previous years, mainly driven by the pandemic and the resulting shift to remote work and digital communication.
Of the 8 hours and 25 minutes, approximately 3 hours and 39 minutes per day are spent watching traditional TV, while 1 hour and 49 minutes per day are spent watching digital video content, including OTT platforms and social media. The remaining time is spent on other screen activities, such as using social media, browsing the web, and communicating via messaging apps and email.
How Can Video Advertising Help You?
Video ads are an information-rich marketing medium, bringing many benefits to your business.
Here are some of the critical benefits video can bring to your business:1. Increased Brand Awareness: Video advertising can help improve a company's brand awareness by reaching a large audience through popular channels such as TV, OTT platforms, and social media. By creating compelling video content, companies can capture viewers' attention and increase their familiarity with the brand.
2. Enhanced Engagement: Video advertising can engage viewers in a way that other forms of advertising cannot. With dynamic visuals, sound, and storytelling, video ads can captivate viewers and create an emotional connection with the brand. That can lead to increased engagement, social shares, and word-of-mouth recommendations.
3. Improved Conversions: Video advertising can be an effective way to drive conversions, whether it's to increase sales, generate leads, or encourage website visits. By including a clear call-to-action in the video content, companies can guide viewers toward the desired action and increase the likelihood of a conversion.
4. Precise Targeting: Video advertising allows companies to target specific audiences based on demographics, interests, behaviors, and more. That can help ensure that the ad is being seen by the right people, increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of the campaign.
5. Measurable Results: Video advertising provides measurable results, allowing companies to track and analyze the performance of their campaigns. Metrics such as views, engagement rates, click-through rates, and conversions can provide valuable insights into what's working and what's not, allowing companies to make data-driven decisions and optimize their campaigns for maximum impact.
Video advertising can help a company increase brand awareness, engage with audiences, drive conversions, target specific audiences, and measure results. By leveraging the power of video content, companies can create compelling campaigns that resonate with viewers and drive business results.
Get in Front of an Interested Audience with OTT
As of 2021, estimates indicate over 200 million US users stream content on OTT (Over-The-Top) platforms. That includes popular services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+. The number of people streaming content on OTT platforms has been steadily increasing over the years, and it will likely continue to grow in the coming years as more households cut the cord on traditional cable TV and switch to streaming services.
According to a recent report by eMarketer, the number of OTT users in the US will likely reach 230.8 million by 2024. Several factors drive this growth, including the increasing availability of high-speed internet, the growing popularity of on-demand content, and the expansion of OTT services into new markets and territories.
The popularity of OTT platforms has also increased advertising revenue as businesses seek to reach the growing audience on these platforms. According to an Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) report, US OTT advertising revenue reached $9.2 billion in 2020, a 31% increase from the previous year. This trend will likely continue, with OTT advertising projected to reach $18.3 billion by 2024.
The OTT Video segment will likely grow to 4,216.3 million users by 2027, where user penetration will be 45.7% in 2023 and is expected to hit 53.0% by 2027.
There are now more subscriptions to video streaming services—including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney+—than there are people in the USA. According to Ampere Markets–Operators data, there are now nearly 340m subscription OTT contracts in the USA, more than the population of 330m.
- 72% of OTT viewers can remember a specific ad they saw while watching content
- 66% of people who watch OTT video content discovered a new product or service
- 40% of OTT viewers pause their video content to research or purchase the product or service that was advertised to them
- 25% of OTT viewers are happy to watch up to 10 minutes of advertisements if they don’t have to pay for their video content
- Increase social media engagement by 24% when advertising on OTT platforms)
- Adults consume 38 hours of video content each month
- 88% of US adults watch content on OTT SVOD platforms
- 85% of US millennials subscribe to at least one OTT video service
- 82% of US adults watch content on OTT AVOD platforms
What Makes McClatchy’s OTT Services Different?
McClatchy’s OTT services leverage advanced targeting to deliver a direct-to-publisher opportunity for businesses. We provide relevant placements to the right audiences using dynamic optimization. These services are always fraud-free, brand-safe, and separate competitors from each other.
Our key differentiators in OTT are the following:
- Premium Inventory: Delivering ads on brand-safe, quality content
- Digital TV: Our offerings go beyond just Connected TV to capture the entire online streaming TV audience on their devices
- Performance: Our services deliver an 80% or higher VCR with a .30% average CTR
- Strength of Complementary Tactics: The supplemental services McClatchy provides strengthens our ability to target audiences and deliver results
- Customized Reporting Insights: We can customize analytics and reporting to deliver insights on how OTT is helping brands achieve their goals by tracking the metrics relevant to them
McClatchy’s inventory sets it apart by strategically positioning ads to deliver Digital TV content across devices on premium inventory through small or large screens.
- Examples of OTT/CTV apps include A&E, ABC, Food Network, HGTV, MTV, TLC, etc.
- Examples of CTV devices include Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Firestick, PlayStation, Xbox, etc.
With McClatchy – You Pay for Quality
McClatchy’s customized services and expertise deliver premium results for businesses advertising through them because it pays for a team of experts behind each ads. Lower rates from competitors stem from open exchange inventory, meaning there’s no guaranteed inventory for ads to appear on.
The most significant opportunity comes from shifting television marketing dollars to more cost-effective OTT video advertising. It helps you reach customers more directly, where their attention is less divided, helping you increase ROI from the marketing dollars you spend.
How O&O Video Reaches Audiences Through a Local, Trusted Environment
O&O Benchmark data coming mid-April
- CTX manual report combined with the dashboard
Online content is being created at a never-before-seen scale, making high-quality, brand-safe content environments more crucial than ever. That makes owned-and-operated (O&O) platforms increasingly valuable because a singular, trusted entity handles your ads and data. They know their audiences and rely on their websites' quality, ensuring your ads are delivered timely and appropriately.
What are the Benefits of O&O Platforms?
News sites typically attract a broad range of visitors interested in current events. Video ads on these sites can leverage the trust and authority associated with reputable news organizations to boost brand awareness and credibility.
Research suggests that video ads on news sites can effectively drive engagement and conversions. A study by the IAB and Nielsen found that video ads on news sites had higher engagement levels than other types of sites, with a 22% lift in ad recall and a 30% lift in purchase intent.
IAB and Nielsen Study:
This study, titled "The Halo Effect: How Advertising on News Sites Drives Brand Perception," was published in 2013 and aimed to measure the impact of advertising on news sites on brand perception. The study surveyed over 3,000 US adults who had viewed ads on news sites and compared the results with a control group that had not seen the ads.
It found that advertising on news sites positively impacted brand perception, with a 6% lift in brand favorability and a 4% lift in purchase intent. It also found that video ads on news sites had higher engagement and recall levels than other sites, with a 22% lift in ad recall and a 30% lift in purchase intent.
Similarly, a study by Google found that video ads on premium publishers' sites, such as news sites, had a 67% higher completion rate than other sites.
Google’s study, titled "The Impact of Video Ad Sequencing on Brand Metrics," was published in 2019 and aimed to measure the impact of video ad sequencing on brand metrics. The study analyzed data from over 200 global advertisers across various industries and compared the performance of video ads on premium publishers' sites, such as news sites, with other sites.
The study found that video ads on premium publishers' sites had a 67% higher completion rate than other sites and a 74% higher ad recall. The study also found that video ad sequencing, which involves showing a series of ads in a specific order, led to higher brand lift than displaying a single ad.
Reach Audiences with News Site Video Ads
However, the effectiveness of video ads on news sites can depend on several factors, including the following:
- The quality of the video content
- The targeting strategy
- The relevance of the message to the target audience
For example, video ads that are too long or irrelevant to the audience may not effectively drive engagement or conversions. Video ads on news sites can effectively reach and engage with target audiences, mainly if the ads are high-quality and relevant to them.
These studies suggest that video ads on news sites can effectively drive brand perception and engagement. However, as with any form of advertising, the effectiveness of video ads on news sites can depend on various factors, such as the quality of the video content, the targeting strategy, and the message's relevance to the target audience.
Programmatic Video Reaches Consumers Wherever They Watch
Programmatic video helps place ads flexibly to reach customers wherever they spend time online. These ads appear in the sidebars of websites alongside webpage content visitors read.
- According to a study by Google, approximately 50% of internet users said they purchased after seeing a display ad video. The study found that display advertisement videos can be particularly effective in influencing purchase decisions among millennials, with 60% of respondents aged 18-34 saying they have purchased after seeing a display advertisement video.
- Another study by HubSpot found that product videos can increase purchase intent by 97% and increase the likelihood of a purchase by 64%. The study found that product videos are particularly effective in influencing purchase decisions for products that require more consideration or research, such as high-ticket items or complex products.
Programmatic video advertising will account for over two-thirds of all digital video advertising by 2024. While the effectiveness of display advertisement videos on driving product purchases can vary, evidence suggests that they can be a powerful tool for driving conversions and influencing purchase decisions, especially when targeted towards the right audience and paired with compelling messaging and call-to-actions.
- A study by the IAB found that display video ads on mobile devices drove a 35% increase in brand awareness, a 44% increase in purchase intent, and a 25% increase in ad recall. ("Mobile Video Advertising Effectiveness Study" Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) 2016.)
- Display video advertising will likely continue growing in the coming years. According to eMarketer, US digital video ad spending projections show it increasing from $46.5 billion in 2021 to $63.1 billion in 2025, driven in part by the growth of display video ads.
One factor driving the growth of display video ads is the increasing popularity of over-the-top (OTT) video services, which are typically ad-supported. As more consumers shift towards streaming video content, advertisers follow suit and invest more in display video ads on these platforms.
Another factor driving the growth of display video ads is the increasing availability of programmatic advertising technologies, which allow advertisers to automate and optimize their ad targeting and delivery. Programmatic advertising estimates expect it to account for most digital display ad spending in the US in the coming years, with eMarketer projecting programmatic display ad spending to reach $87.2 billion in 2021.
While the advertising landscape is constantly evolving, the trends suggest that display video advertising will continue to grow in the coming years, driven by the increasing popularity of streaming video content and the growing availability of programmatic advertising technologies.
Why Video Channels Work Well Together
Video ads work well individually, but their effectiveness grows as they work together.
One of the key benefits of video ads is when consumers watch videos while using multiple devices – known as Second Screen Use.
- 83% of American TV watchers use a second device while watching TV.
- 65% of those same viewers use their secondary device to look up information and head to an advertiser’s site while they stream. 65% of OTT viewers look up product information on a second screen while watching their video content
- Younger and middle-aged viewers are likelier to watch TV while using smartphones. YouGov found that 83% of those 18-34 and 85% of those 35-54 were likely to engage in this behavior, while 66% of those ages 55+ would.
Grow Your Business with Multi-Channel Video
Running advertising on OTT and programmatic video (or O&O video) together can provide several benefits that might not be available when using these channels separately. These benefits include:1. Increased Audience Reach: Combining OTT and programmatic video advertising can help businesses reach a wider audience. By running ads on both channels, companies can ensure they reach viewers consuming video content across multiple devices and platforms.
2. Improved Targeting: OTT and programmatic video advertising can provide more precise targeting capabilities when used together. Combining the data from these channels allows businesses to create more accurate audience segments and deliver more personalized messages.
3. Greater Cost Efficiency: Businesses can achieve greater cost efficiency by combining these channels. They can use programmatic buying to purchase ads at the lowest possible price while still reaching their target audience on OTT platforms.
4. Enhanced Analytics: Running OTT and programmatic video advertising together can provide businesses with more comprehensive analytics. They can use the data from both channels to better understand their audience and campaign performance, allowing them to make more informed decisions about future campaigns.
5. More Creative Opportunities: Using both channels together can give businesses more creative opportunities to engage their audience. They can create campaigns utilizing pre- and mid-roll ads on OTT platforms and interactive or clickable ads on programmatic videos.
Tap into Video Ads with McClatchy
Running advertising on OTT and programmatic video together can provide businesses with a more comprehensive and effective video advertising strategy. By combining these channels, companies can reach a wider audience, improve their targeting capabilities, achieve greater cost efficiency, and gain more comprehensive analytics.
McClatchy’s experts have a broad knowledge of video ads, with the skills to help you reach your customers wherever they are with relevant ads. Their platforms support their ability, giving them the extensive reach necessary to reach a vast audience.
Reach out to one of McClatchy’s experts today to learn how to get started with online video ads.